SCRIPPS RANCH CIVIC ASSOCIATION
September 10, 2019 @ 7:00pm
Scripps Ranch Library, Conference Room
- Roll Call 7:02 call to order 22 members present.
- Modifications to the Agenda -- None
- Non-Agenda Public Comment –
Ellen and Monica (YMCA Reps from Scripps Ranch) introduced themselves as part of
New leadership in the program. Also, briefly advertise projects, events and opportunities.
- ELECTED OFFICIALS/PUBLIC SERVICE REPORTS
- S. Congress (Congressman Peters) – E. Magee (Congressman guest) - Not Present
- CA State Assembly (Assemblyman Maienschein) – Not Present
- County of San Diego (Supervisor Gaspar)
- San Diego City Council (Councilmember Kersey) – Not Present
- San Diego Police Department
New leadership, LT Mendez
Stolen Vehicle – 0
Home Invasion – 0
Home Break-in – 0
Commercial Theft – 1
- San Diego City Attorney (City Attorney Mara Elliott) –Not present
- Planning Groups (SRPG and MRNPC)
Alliant University Property – KB Homes: At out September 5 meeting, the SRPG voted unanimously to recommend that the Planning Commission deny KB Homes’ request to imitate a Community Plan Amendment to build up to 300 homes on the Alliant University property. Under the new plan, AIU would retain about 20 acres for its campus administration facility and would keep the Scripps Ranch Theater. KB Homes will purchase about 50 acres. The SRPG opposes the plan because it would make the already unacceptable traffic on Avenue of Nations and Pomerado Road worse, increase hazards to students at Marshall Middle School, add residents in a Very High Fire Hazard zone, impede evacuation along Pomerado Road in the event of a fire, and overtax existing public facilities without providing new ones.
Business Park. The planning group unanimously recommended approval of proposal for consolidation of 3 lots into one at 10103-10123 Carroll Canyon Road, and conversion of 6 existing buildings into commercial condominiums. The purpose is to provide broader financing opportunities. No alteration of the existing building or additional construction is planned.
Public Facilities Plan: The 2016 Scripps Miramar Ranch plan for developing public facilities in on line at https://ww. Sandiego.gov/planning/facilities-planning/plans/scrippsmiramar. It is being revised since many of the projects in the plan are now completed. Mayor projects underway include Fairbrook Park, the Library expansion and park upgrades. The Transportation Department is proposing new traffic calming measures, such as traffic circles, on some roads in the area. The SRPG also submitted several proposals, including a Fire Station Annex, and reconstruction of Scripps Ranch
Planning Group Member Election in March 2020: If you are interested in serving on the planning group, please come to a meeting and talk with us, and contact me at [email protected]. The next election for SRPG membership is at our March 5 meeting. Candidates must have attended at least two meeting of the group in the previous 12 months. Please note that we are often dark in December and/January for the holidays.
Next Meeting: October 3 and November 7, 2019
- ACTION ITEMS
- Aviary Nature Park General Park Design: The City of San Diego Park Department hired a landscape architect to complete Park Design Plan for Aviary Nature Park (Hendricks Pond area). SRRAB meeting is September 12th and 7pm at the Scripps Ranch Recreation Center.
- SRCA 50 plus update: The 2019 concert will be at the library on the afternoon of Saturday, December 14th. The concert performance will be students form the Scripps Theatre Art your Program, adult student’s form the SDCCD Piano class and Bella Voce women’s acapella singing group. Friday Lectures Series: Currently, SRCA 50 Plus holds two lectures each month at the library. In 2020 we plan to hold lectures on every Friday.
- 1st General Interest (Education and Travel)
- 2nd Dealing with Dementia and other Chronic Conditions
- 3rd Aging Successfully (Resources and Health)
- Car Show set for September 14TH, 8am to Noon (Free admission)
- Approval of August 13, 2019 Minutes. 20 approve. 2 abstain
- Dennis – Presented to the board a spreadsheet illustrating percentages of membership in each district. Requesting suggestions about how we can do a better job of reaching those districts with low membership. He points out that we are not reaching the “new residents” as well as we should. For example Stonebridge is a mere 2% membership. Wally – Stonebridge is more Poway than SR area. We would need more articles in newsletter involving them. Dennis also, requested the board define the scope/ extent for reaching out to residents of Glen at Scripps Ranch, which include a significant number of our current 92131 residents and supporters. A resident and neighbor believes that dropping off SRCA newsletters to the resident area could greatly increase membership for SRCA. Bob – To support that, we would need more financial support increase the newsletter at Glen. It all depends on age demographic and the needs to the people in SR Area.
- Submitted August 2019 Balance sheets. Grants, Communication and Website Community Center, Membership, Newsletter and Summary of Profit and Loss Statements. Denis – Why was the schools not given their allotted grants. Treasurer –Did not know about it but will take action accordingly.
Monthly financials will be emailed out to board members.
- Car Show set for September 14th
- SRCA COMMITTEE AND ADVISORY GROUP REPORTS
LOSED SESSION / INTERNAL BOARD ISSUES – None
Meeting Closed at 8:45
VII. President’s Report