Community Fair 2014
Sunday, May 18, 2014
Everyone had a great day at the 2014 Community Fair. Check out the pictures taken by Julie Robinson, Elissa Barber, Jim McGinn and Jan McGinn.
Nestled in the beautiful Scripps Ranch Community Park, you can expect a variety of community groups, businesses and vendors at the Fair showcasing their services, unique products and crafts. You may find valuable information, the perfect gift, an item that's just right for you, or a new service provider.
Are you interested in greener living, energy efficiency, and the wonderful outdoors? Stop by the extensive Green Street, filled with knowledgeable vendors and non-profit groups.
Music and Merriment await you at the Fair. Laugh and play in the Kids' Zone, with its fun rides, facepainting, and hands-on activities. Enjoy delicious food and refreshments (including Wine & Beer), while watching the live entertainment onstage, featuring Rob the DJ, local youth performers, and a free concert that night featuring Breez'n.
Richard Lederer, Scripps Ranch resident, will debut his brand new children's book Monsters Unchained! on stage at 12:30 pm. Dr. Lederer is the language columnist and history quizmaster for the U-T. He'll be at his booth in the Kids' Zone throughout the Fair for additional readings.
Chef Elizabeth of Elizabeth's Kitchen is The Opera-Singing Chef, blending her culinary abilities, music, and stories to entertain audiences with her slightly slanted approach to the world of opera. Stop by her booth at 2:00 pm for an engaging presentation of music and cooking.
Replace your old bulbs with energy-saving LEDs. TechniArt will be selling LED 3-packs for $10 each (a $60 value subsidized by SDG&E) on Green Street.
Thank you Sponsors for supporting the Fair and our community!
ASI Hastings Heating, Air and Solar
Scripps Rock Dental
UC San Diego Health System - Family Medicine
Thank you also to our numerous Sapphire and Topaz Sponsors and the Vendors and Community groups who are participating in this year's Fair.
** Wine and & Beer Garden **
Enjoy a glass of wine or a local beer at the open-air Wine & Beer Garden located between the Food Truck Court and the stage. It's the perfect spot to relax with friends and watch the performers on stage during the day and the concert at night.
Priced at $4 – 6 per glass, the proceeds benefit the SRCA. The Garden is presented by BarWorks and is open from 2:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Food Truck Court
In addition to Harvest Jack's Fair Food located in the Kids' Zone, enjoy lunch, dinner or a snack at delicious food truck vendors.
Rob the DJ takes center stage keeping the Fair fun and interactive throughout the day. Enjoy live entertainment from a variety of talented local musicians, singers, and other performers.
Breez'n will perform a variety of blues, jazz, classic rock & roll, and R&B during the free concert (6:00-7:30 pm). Come early to save your spot on the grass. During the concert, enjoy a delicious dinner from the Food Truck Court and refreshments from the Wine & Beer Garden.
Community Performers will appear on stage between 12:00 – 5:00 pm.
Music & Merriment On Stage & Throughout the Fair
Rob the DJ takes the center stage for all-day interactive fun. Drop by and relax in the comfortable patio furniture provided by Jerome's as you watch these talented local performers on stage:
12:00 Rob the DJ (on stage all day)
12:00 Villa Musica
12:30 Richard Lederer (Children's Author)
1:00 Muse Academy of Music
1:30 JING Chinese Martial Arts
2:00 Chamber Bravura
2:00 The Singing Opera Chef (at her booth)
2:30 Chelsey Chavez
3:30 Academy of Martial Arts
4:00 Almost Grounded
4:30 The Outcome
5:00 Recognitions Presented by Mark Kersey
5:30 United Studios of Self Defense
6:00-7:30 Breez'n Free Concert
Sustainable Scripps Ranch presents its 4th annual "Green Street", with Eco-friendly organizations and companies. Learn how you can support the continued health and well-being of our community, today and for the future.
This year Green Street features over 20 local non-profits and organizations showcasing and sharing their green knowledge, products, and services. Here are highlights to get the most out of your visit through Green Street:
- Drop by Sustainable Scripps Ranch (SSR) to make a free succulent mini-garden to take home. We know from past experience that everyone from preschoolers to grandparents enjoys this project!
- Bring the kids to Family Adventures in Nature (the FAN Club) for a fun family activity.
- Visit ASI Heating, Air, and Solar to learn about Federally-subsidized programs to make your house more healthy, comfortable, safe, and energy-efficient.
- Gain inspiration and knowledge for a more sustainable lifestyle from San Diego Environmental Outreach for recycling info and updates, 350.org, and more.
- MTS will present exciting news about the Bus Rapid Transit coming to our area.
- If you're already an edible gardener or want to get started, check out Urban Homesteaders, AgPals, San Diego Master Gardeners, San Diego Horticultural Society, and California Native Plant Society. And learn about Kellogg's all-organic garden products.
- Not a gardener, but you enjoy fresh food? Sign-up with Farm Fresh to You and receive locally grown fruits and vegetables delivered right to your door.
- Just for fun, watch the Solar Cooking Club demonstrate their nifty, easy-to-make solar cookers.
- Do you want suggestions for great hikes, picnic areas, and natural viewing areas near Scripps Ranch? Talk with knowledgeable docents and rangers from Goodan Ranch, San Diequito River Parks, and Penasquitos Canyon. And find out about all new trail in our own backyard now part of Mission Trails Regional Park.
- Catch up on your conservation knowledge with Think Blue, the San Diego Water Authority, and the Water Purification Demonstration Facility.
Entertaining and enriching activities for kids! Harvest Jack's classic carnival rides return. Take a spin on the wind winder, Ferris wheel, and carousel. Climb through the inflatable slide and obstacle course. Bounce through the air on the Bungee Jump.
Enjoy face painting and balloon art. Explore Green Street and community groups for fun activities, while learning about the environment, local happenings, and more.
The fun extends beyond the Kids' Zone to Green Street and throughout the Fair with games and hands-on activities for kids of all ages. Check out some of the activities planned:
- Family Adventures in Nature – Nature-based activities
- Local Fire Station # 37 – Fire Truck on display
- Muse Academy of Music – Make paper drums and try out musical instruments
- Outpost Summer Camps – Arts & Crafts
- RSVP – Fingerprinting & a new Police Car on display
- San Diego Humane Society – Hug an adoptable pet
- Scripps Ranch Theatre – Take photos with props and costumes
- Sustainable Scripps Ranch – Build a succulent mini-garden
Sponsorships and Booth Spaces Are Available