Trick or Treat
This is a month many kids–and adults!–look forward to with great anticipation. They plan their Halloween costumes months in advance, and get more excited as the actual haunting night nears. The wonderful thing about Scripps Ranch is that it’s so much fun to trick or treat in our neighborhoods. It’s definitely a thrilling night for all!
There are also many fun events to take your kids to in order to celebrate:
- Miramar Ranch Elementary School’s Halloween Carnival is a community tradition. It’s on Saturday, Oct. 20, and is open to everyone. Check out pages 38-39 for all the information, then go!
- Kids can trick or treat at the Scripps Ranch Farmers Market on Saturday, Oct. 27. See page 19.
- Later that same day–Oct. 27–go across the street from the farmers market to the Scripps Ranch Marketplace and trick or treat, ride a fire truck, and go on a giant slide… all for free! Page 19 has details.
There are also fall festivals at some of the schools in our community. Check out the Schools section starting on page 25.
Our largest school is Scripps Ranch High, with nearly 2,300 students. In order for them to have the supplies they need, they are coming to the community to ask for help. The school’s foundation will hold a Drive-By Supply Drive on Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 5:30 to 7 pm. Page 15 has a list of needed items. Please provide a "treat" for students and donate!
In fact, if you support any of our schools it means you are helping the kids in our community. Any supplies or funds that you can contribute are always greatly appreciated. If you don’t have a student at the school, just check with that particular school’s office. Thank you.
This is no trick: we want to help you get rid of all your junk and electronics, and shred your confidential paperwork. Okay, you have to do the work, but various folks will provide the facilities, and it’s all right here in our community.
- Fall Clean-Up Day is on Saturday, Oct. 6. See page 15 for the time and locations.
- Free E-Waste Drop-Off: after you get rid of your unwanted items, take your old electronics to this SRHS fundraiser. Check out page 17.
- Free Document Shredding: this event is on the same day as well, hosted by Coldwell Banker. More information is also on page 17.
It will be a treat for you once you get your home in tip-top shape for fall!
As you can see from the Newsletter cover, grading has started for a new development in "old" Scripps Ranch. It’s located on Fairbrook Road just off Pomerado Road, and the property has been vacant for years. While it was once slated to be a school, that has changed. In our Special Report on pages 20-21, read about the parcel’s history and what is being built now.
We all want to support kids, especially those suffering from medical ailments. If you have $1, you can help–what a deal! Just buy a special edition of U-T San Diego on Kids’ NewsDay, Tuesday, Oct. 23. People will be all over Scripps Ranch selling the newspaper. Check out page 57 for details, and please be generous for these special kids!
Here’s a special treat for you: another Symphony in the Park concert, the first ever in October. It starts earlier than usual–5 pm–so don’t miss a great night of music. Check out page 17.
Finally, you could call it doggie devotion. Two Scripps families who live next door to each other both adopted three-legged dogs…albeit at different times. This heartwarming treat is our Spotlight on Scripps Ranch this month. Read it on page 41.
Happy fall, Scripps Ranch, and happy birthday to my younger son! Love you!