March 8, 2016


The Agenda was provided to all Board Members.


Absent Excused: Allman, Clark, Honeycutt, Lichtenstein, Strouse-Takim, Suzara

Absent Unexcused: Evenson, Vinson

The meeting was called to order by President Ilko at 7:04 pm.

Newsletter – Gloria Tran re-introduced herself. Usually SRCA Board meeting is during Newsletter deadline time and unable to attend. Goal to try to break even since ads pay for the Newsletter. Roughly 32 pages ads with about 66-68 pages of Newsletter. Hard to fit everything in which means some editing of articles is required. Went from 8-10 pages of school articles and now down to 4. Non-profit groups in 92131 get information in Newsletter. Gloria also very involved in SRCA Facebook. Been Editor for 13 years. Managing number of pages is based on ads.

MCAS Miramar has had trespass issues and SRCA was asked facilitate setting up a Community Meeting to figure out exactly where people are trespassing and future problems. Hope to reduce number of trespassers. Meeting hopes to help bridge the gap and find ways to make things better for community. Meeting is Monday, March 14th 6:30 at SRCA Community Center.

SRHS did not have Taste of the Ranch and did not have Grad Night last year. Planned a night at Disneyland but did not consider the insurance needed. SRCA instead of donating to Taste of Ranch donated towards insurance shortfall in the amount of $500.

SRCA Sponsor – McGinn introduced Brian Dalton of C2 Education joined as a $1000 sponsor. Goal is to help students get through different testing like SAT. Donated $1200 to organization Dream Big. Brought some of the posters some students made. Every hash tag Dream Big SR V2 will donate $1.

SR Miss Teen and Miss SR – Maria introduced Brittani Lauter as new Miss SR and Miss Teen SR is Jessica Ebert. Both told a little about themselves. Elissa Barber second year as a judge for the event.

Councilman Kersey – Alex Vivona reported.

Sent out list of streets that will be slurry sealed in Scripps Ranch.

The infrastructure ballot measure was approved by Council today.

Office involved in some storm drain issues. Facilitated getting roof repairs done for the Community Center but also want to know status of painting outside of building. Andy Nichols and Bob Ilko installed new LED lights inside the building.

Cleanup Day – Barber reported will be in April. Alex will provide tickets for landfill. Will be sending out sign-up sheet for volunteers for day of event.

SDPD – Shannah Oliveras introduced Officer Troy Brown works the 2 pm to midnight. Car break-ins – residents still leaving valuables in the car so becomes crime of opportunity. 20 break-ins. Three stolen vehicles – 1 Nissan and 2 Honda’s. Commercial burglaries 0 and residential 3. Made some arrest in home invasion cases and looking at additional charges.

Sandy Albertson Captain of Northeast. Saturday, April 9th from 8:00 am to noon at the open area north of the Penasquitos Park on Salmon River Road having a “Police & Paws” event. Will have free child fingerprinting, all types of information etc. and meet the new captain, Lieutenants and Offices. Has page with detailed sheet with information which necessitates a citation. Two flyers were provided: (Problem Solver” providing various contact numbers and (2) Neighborhood Parking Protection Ordinance guidelines. Getting 2 PSO’s that can perform many duties and we have not had any in SR.

VP Communications – Ilko talked about previous person resigned and searching for new person. Performed interviews to find someone that has the digital background but is a team leader and be part of the e-blasts that are produced for the community. Introduced Luis Fregoso. Currently Co-Chair of the Schools Committee. Website half of planned updates have been completed and Luis will work with Greg Minter to finalize. Before e-mails went to one person and things broke down. Through interview process found someone to be Committee Chair for E-mails and that person is Kelly Mayerick. She has been Art Director and compiled a magazine, digital communications and lives in Scripps. She filled in for Victoria on Newsletter when she was ill. Now have a professional eye review requests and will be looking at any enhancements. Submittal process the same.

District Rep – Drummond introduced Jodi Kim who is interested in being Co-Chair with Vince Petrucci for District 2. She has been to three meetings and already been participating on two committees. Motion by Meissner and seconded Wulfeck to approve her as Co-Representative for District 2. Motion passed unanimously.

Recognition Night – Petrucci reported:

April 5th at SR Library. February 28th was deadline for nominations and received 214. 56 deferred as submitted by one person. Special event at Jerabek to recognize those 56. Need volunteers to help with set up and tear down the day of the event. May have RSVP there to deal with traffic. March 29th is walk thru for event and will have an opportunity drawing the night of the event. Vince and Dorothy submitting names to politicians so they can prepare their awards. Will have a power point presentation at the event. Received $250 sponsorship from a law firm that a resident works for.

50 Plus – Holmes reported: Aging Successfully Lecture: Senior Stay or Go on Friday, March 18th from 10-11:30 am in SR Library.

Class co-sponsored by SR Friends of the Library and 50 Plus OASIS Class 133.1 “Ten Estate Planning Goofs that Could Cost You a Fortune” on Saturday, March 26th 10-11:30 am at the library.

Sr. Living Tour none in March but one will have one in May. 39 looked tour at Oakmont in Escondido that was just held.

LT Planning – Peranich reported:

Trying to book Vons at Scripps Poway Parkway but Girl Scouts has spot through April. Don’t have definitive answer yet from Manager for a future date. Looking at backup ideas. Last meeting idea evolved that at each Board meeting would like to hold a 15 minute discussion on substantiate issues that SRCA may wish to address or change a current process.

Community Fair – McGinn reported:

Like members promote groups that want to participate at the event with booths. Get a lot of late entries. Sending out information for volunteers. Looking for Chair or Co-Chairs to take over the event for 2017. Jan has held position for 5 years and compiled all the information for a future Chair to use.

Schools Committee – Barber reported: Teachers at Jerabek Elementary school will spend one week at Columbia University take part in a writing course.

Area Superintendent presentation on 3 year plan about reaching community . Want to increase parent involvement. Child awake 3000 hrs. but only 1000 spent in school. 20th Anniversary of Dingeman Elementary.

SRHS has between 12-14 college courses but they are not rated. You can get credit if you take the test. It depends on the college you attend if they accept.

Sustainable SR – Plutner reported:

March 12th Waterwise Botanicals Tour on March 12th at 10:30 am.

March 19th Garden Share Tour March 19th 3-:400 pm at the SRCA Community Center. March 20th West Sycamore Hike – 3rd Sundays of the month with the Ranger West Sycamore Stargazing on Friday, April 1st as a make-up for cancellation of March 4th. Astronomy Association very interested in the event and wants to participate. Post time on website.

Three years ago held an energy and water event and looking to have another one and maybe looking at September 17th and joining the Fire Safe Council for the event.

MRNPC – Burley reported: Addressed proposed speed increase on Scripps Poway Pkwy. from 45 to 50 mph. Voted unanimously to not approve the recommendation. Left turn signal at Angelique and Scripps Poway Parkway due to difficulty making eastbound and westbound left turns onto SPP. City Traffic Engineer reviewed accident history, traffic volumes and left turn delays and determined that it did not qualify for a left turn signal at this time. Committee voted a one year appointment to Luis Fregoso.

SRPG – Wulfeck reported: Sandy Wetzel-Smith assisted working with City to getting this issue resolved concerning collapsed storm drains under houses. Still work to be done but City has started. Requires environmental approvals but hoping to get done this year. Big topics public facilities financing plan Angela Abeyta, Funds Supervisor approving financing plan but made several changes. New funding for library parking parking lot for 2017. Can now start the design. Hoping to get to City Council in June for approval. Looking to replace grass on Jerabek Elementary School and whether more economically to re-sod entire field vs seeding. Oakmont Senior housing project has been dropped by City Planning as it did not follow general or community plan so did not recommend. City came up with same conclusion. Oakmont withdrew their proposal.

New By-laws were approved by City Council. Have incorporated Rancho Encantada (Stonebridge). The Glenn of SR was unanimously approved February 23rd by City Council. Going for building permits in next few months. There are still opponents to project. Looking to fix Sycamore Park and add another entrance to parking lot.

Fairbrook Park – SR Recreation Council and SRPG will create a joint committee to plan this park. Developer built 17 houses and City will build park. Developer required to build a settlement basin (bio swale) and he decided to use park land. It takes up some of the useable park land. This now means less useable park land for the community.

Membership – McGinn reported:

Letters finally were mailed out and she sent copies of the three different types to all the Board. Including Stonebridge this year in membership drive. Anticipating an uptick in membership return from the letters. Form also in March Newsletter. Jan will send out membership status information to the Board.

4th of July – Ilko reported Gary Clark Co-Chairing. Looking for entries and want to add more as have had complaints. Know of any business that might want to enter let Gary know.

Motion by Paterniti and seconded by McGinn to adjourn the meeting.

Jany Staley
SRCA Secretary