NJB Concludes Season
The Scripps Ranch Chapter of National Junior Basketball (NJB) recently completed its seventh and most successful year. More than 600 boys and girls from grades 3 to 8 played on 62 teams from November to March.
Closing ceremonies were held before a packed house at SRHS. Thank you to all the players, coaches, and parents for making this another exciting year.
Post-season all-star teams were selected from each grade level and competed quite successfully in the San Diego Regional Tournament in March.
- 8th grade boys, coached by Hal Schweiger–1st place;
- 7th grade boys, coached by John Montanile–1st place;
- 6th grade boys, coached by Darryl Steinhause–1st place;
- 5th grade boys, coached by Nils Madden–2nd place;
- 4th grade boys, coached by Tom Wolfe–2nd place;
- 3rd grade boys, coached by Fred Phillips–1st place;
- 8th grade girls, coached by Frank Devaney and Chris Johnson–1st place;
- 7th grade girls, coached by Andrew Gale–4th place in the 8th grade tournament;
- 6th grade girls, coached by Jim Peterson–1st place;
- 5th grade girls, coached by Doug Means–automatically qualified for the national tournament; and,
- 4th/3rd grade girls, coached by Jim Tomey–1st place.
Congratulations to these all-star teams, their players, and coaches. Most teams advanced to the National Championships. Go, Scripps NJB!
Girls 5th Grade NJB Win
Congratulations to the Scripps Ranch Girls 5th Grade NJB All-Star Team. They recently won the San Diego area sectional tournament. From there, they went on to represent the San Diego area in a tournament held in late March.
The girls fought hard and won both games the first day. The next day, they battled two club teams and lost. In the final game they beat Porterville to secure the 3rd place title.
They returned home with trophies and lots of memories of a fun-filled, competitive weekend spent playing basketball and spending time with their Scripps Ranch teammates and families.
Great Job, Boys 3rd Grade!
The Scripps Ranch Boys 3rd Grade NJB All-Star Team won the San Diego sectional tournament in March. They moved on to the state championships in Westlake Village later in March, where they finished 3rd in the state out of 14 teams. Great job!
Tsunami Junior Olympians!
The Tsunami Swim Team had a strong showing in the 2003 Short Course Junior Olympics! Congratulations to the following swimmers for their individual performances:
- Andrew Townsend–3rd in the 100- yard Backstroke, 2nd in the 200-yard Backstroke;
- James Clark–5th in the 50-yard Freestyle, 9th in the 100-yard Freestyle;
- Drew Swartz–10th in the 200-yard Breaststroke;
- Matthew Sitzer–6th in the 100-yard Breaststroke, 9th in the 50-yard Breaststroke;
- Bo Lee–13th in the 100-yard Breaststroke; and,
- Meagan Sitzer–50-yard Backstroke.
The relay team of Wes Mitchell (butterfly), Andrew Townsend (backstroke), Drew Swartz (breaststroke), and James Clark (freestyle) placed 5th in the 400- yard Medley Relay.
The Tsunami Swim Team welcomes new members from novice to experienced–from ages 5 and up–and is coached by Shaun Whitaker and his staff. The swim team practices at the Trails pool of the Scripps Ranch Swim and Racquet Club.
Tryouts for new members will be Thursday, May 8, and Tuesday, June 17, at 4 pm at the Trails pool. If you are unable to attend one of the tryouts, please call 619-316-8506 for an individual reservation.
On the Way to the World Series!
Scripps Ranch Falcons 13 and under baseball team came in as runners- up for the USSSA Super Series in Moreno Valley for the 2003 winterball tournament. They are qualified to play in the USSSA World Series game this summer. Congratulations, Falcons!
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!